Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 14:45:21 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Subject:   Re: "Windows 98"

On Fri, Mar 13, 1998 at 07:07:08AM -0500, Randall Hopper wrote:
> Eivind Eklund:
>  |>From http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,20006,00.html
>  |  Windows 98 is an upgrade of Windows 95 that is slated to
>  |  include an integrated Web browser, a television tuner and
>  |  program guide, faster application loading, and built-in support
>  |  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  |  for multiple monitors, DVD, and universal serial bus
>  |  connections. The browser will let users view local, network,
>  |  and Internet data without switching applications.
>  |We should probably be doing something about getting fxtv to support this.  I
>  |started, but I got blocked by not knowing Xaw at all :-(
>
> I'm not sure I know what you mean.

What I tried to do was just to get Fxtv to read a program guide, which
containted the following:

* Program channel, name and times (e.g, TV 2 has Cheers from time N to
  time N, specified as seconds from 1970)
* Program type - SPORT, SERIAL, etc.
* User state information, like "I'm not interested in knowing that XXX
  exists" as a flag for each program, set seperately from Fxtv.

My intention was to make it possible to avoid ever getting sports and
bad serials into my fxtv :-) However, I was stopped at the early point
of getting even a channel name displayed by not knowing Xaw - I had
code that was (as far as I could tell) equal to the other string
display code in fxtv, but it Just Didn't Work.

> The way it's worded, it's hard to tell what that is.  But given this is
> Microsoft, I'm guessing this means they're subsuming yet more app-level
> functionality into the base delivered operating (likely some DLL and a
> little GUI interface ala mediaplayer) that provides a layer above drivers
> for changing channels via tuner cards.  `ActiveTV' or some such.
>
> If so, I don't think it does much for us.

I think we should be able to do the same functionality - make Fxtv
understand actual programs/shows, not just knowing about channels.
That's about as far as I wanted to go.

Eivind.