Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:30:08 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux-gtk and Loki demos

"Karel J. Bosschaart" wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 10:29:24AM -0400, Jason Andresen wrote:
> > I'm not sure what list this should be on, but I hope the people on here
> > have tried this before (and succeded).
> >
> > Has anybody managed to get demos from Loki that require OpenGL support
> > working in FreeBSD?  Basically this requires the glx extention working
> > under Linux emulation and with your X server.
> >
> On http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~eanholt/dri/ there are some pointers
> on doing this.
>
> > I've tried installing the linux_glx port and am running FreeBSD 4.1.0
>                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Is that FreeBSD 4.1 or XFree86 4.1.0 ?

Sorry, I ment XFree86 4.1.0 on FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE.

> > on a Matrox G200 with the Matrox HAL libraries.  3D acceleration works
> > on FreeBSD native applications, but any time I try to start a linux
> > program that uses glx it crashes the X server (with no helpful messages
> > either!).
> >
> AFAIK, the linux_glx port is meant for Utah-glx, which works in
> XFree86 3.3.6 only.

I was kind of afraid of that.

> > Has anybody managed to get those Loki demos working.  If so, how?
> > Thanks.
> >
> At the moment I'm still using Voodoo2, which does not require DRI nor
> Utah-glx. But I hope to find time soon to try my G400 again with
> Loki games. I had Quake3 running with this card in XFree86-4.0.1, and
> it runs quite nice :-).

I really just wanted Heavy Gear II working.  It really loved it under
windows, but it broke when I upgraded to Win2k for the other half of the
dual boot.  I was acutally looking into shelling out $25 to play it
under
FreeBSD and avoid dual booting altogether.  :)

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer