Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:47:15 -0400
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        "Nickolay A. Kritsky" <nkritsky@internethelp.ru>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SGID make

* Nickolay A. Kritsky <nkritsky@internethelp.ru> [010607 11:19] wrote:
>     Can anybody tell me why /usr/local/bin/make in  FreeBSD 4.2 is SGID kmem? I thought that make is intended only for compiling
> huge C programs, isnt it?
>
> #ls -l /usr/local/bin/make
> -rwxr-sr-x  1 root  kmem  445486 May 14 15:58 /usr/local/bin/make

As people have stated this isn't our make, it's most likely GNU make
installed without using the port.

The reason for the sgid'ness is most likely so that the binary can
query the system load average to optimize parrallel compliation
without overwhelming the system.

Although, this is sort of silly as the info should be available via
sysctl in FreeBSD.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"