Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 08:59:25 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Lars Koeller <Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
To:        se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE, wjw@IAEhv.nl (Willem Jan  Withagen)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org, admin@IAEhv.nl
Subject:   Re: SCSI disks

   Hi!

   Stefan Esser writes:

> Willem Jan Withagen writes:
>  >
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > Until recently we as an ISP were using Micropolis disk with pleasure.
>  > But since several 4.3Gb started crashing, we've changed our view.
>  >
>  > So I'm now looking for new disks. I've got 2 offerings:
>  > 	Seagate Barracuda 4.3 GB
>  > 	Quantum XP34300S
>  > The need to run on FreeBSD 2.0.5 and up.
>  > Long agood I tested the quantum with an NCR 53810 and an Adaptec 1542B
>  > and in both case it did not seem to work. Now things might have changed, but
>
> Hmmm, that's surprising, since my current development system uses
> a Quantum Atlas (though its the XP32150S, the 2GB version). This
> drive worked with the NCR driver of Spring 1995 at least, when I
> first tested it.
>
> I'm quite sure that the Adaptec 1542 supported it as well, since
> it is hard to find a device that doesn't work on the Adpatec, and
> the Atlas is really well designed (IMHO).
>
> The Quantum Grand-Prix (XP34301S) is a different beast. It has got
> bad press because of many failed (or DOA) drives, and it is noisy
> and significantly slower than the Atlas, though both are 7200RPM
> drives.
>
> You may also want to have a look at the IBM DHFS series, which is
> also very fast and AFAIK reliable.
>
> Can't comment on recent Seagate drives.
>
> Regards, STefan

      Perhaps  it's  the same  phenomena  I have  with the  Quantum and the
   Adaptec 1742 EISA SCSI controller. Every time the  disc reads out of the
   cache, the response is so quick  that a lot  of controllers aren't ready
   to receive the first bytes.  As  a matter of  fact the whole SCSI-bus is
   locked! The  solution is to edit the   modepage of the  Quantum Atlas so
   that   the disc inserts  a   delay of 15  micro seconds  when a block is
   transfered out of the cache.

      If you need any information how to do this, don't hesitate to contact
   me again.

   Regards

   Lars

Lars Köller                  Phone:  +49 381/498-1665, Fax: -1667
University of Rostock        E-Mail:
Department of Physics          Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.Uni-Rostock.DE
Universitätsplatz 3          Anonymous ftp:
D-18051 Rostock (Germany)      ftp://odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de/pub