Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 14:45:38 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, O Stockhammer <oliver@stockhammer.com>
Subject:   Re: signal 11 errors from cc1 while making kernel.

On 20-Sep-00 Drew Sanford wrote:
> O Stockhammer wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>         I am continuously plagued with the following errors:
>>
>> cc -c -O -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes
>> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual
>> -fformat-extensions -ansi -g -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../.. -I../../../include
>> -D_KERNEL -include opt_global.h -elf  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2
>> ../../pci/ncr.c
>> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/COSMOS.
>>
>> when running make on my kernel named COSMOS.  My machine frequently
>> reboots as well.  Signal 11 is listed as "11) SIGSEGV", which I assume to
>> be a segment violation.  I am suspicious of a hardware issue on my server,
>> possibly bad memory or an issue on the motherboard.  I cannot confirm my
>> suspicions, as I am trying to build a debug kernel without success.  Any
>> insight into either problems (the frequent crashing and rebooting or the
>> signal 11 problems with the kernel make) would be appreciated.
>>
>> I am running a dual pentium 166 with the following FreeBSD Release:
>>
>> FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Aug 14 13:29:21 GMT 2000
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Oliver Stockhammer
>>
> I recently held a discussion with someone else on this list about having
> this same problem with dual 166 machines. Both of us running dual 166's
> on different motherboards. My problem appeared to be leaning on the
> hardware (Using make -j6). When I just did a make, things went fine. Are
> you using the -j switch? If so try not using it and see if that helps.

Signal 11 typically indicates some kind of memory problem. But I have also found,
as you, that make -j can cause 11's. In my case there was an overheating problem
of the processor. When blowing with an external BIG fan onto the processor I
could successfully compile my kernel, but not without it...

In general I have found PC fans to be genuine c**p. Of the 40 or so machines I
have, remarkably many of them have broken fans. Nice fans complainly loudly
before going to kingdom come, but many of them just die silently.

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail
running on FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE