Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 12:02:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lars Jonas Olsson <ljo@mcs.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        ljo@mcs.net
Subject:   VirusWall on FreeBSD?

 I've got a FreeBSD machine that provides WWW and email services for a
small company (60 people is this office). I'd like to detect
MSDOS/Windows viruses sent via email and WWW on this machine.

 The configuration for email is sendmail for sending and popper for
reading. For this side I could perhaps use a modified mail.local that
unpacks and runs McAffe virus scan on emails that are MIME, binhex, or
uuencode encoded. It could then send a virus warning message instead
of infected files if infected files are detected.

 For WWW access I use squid. I think squid uses a separate program for
FTP'ing (most likely source of virus?). This program could use pretty
much the same mechanism as mail.local described above. Perhaps theree
is also some other file downloading mechanisms that should be checked.
I guess it could also check for bad Java, ActiveX, etc but I don't
worry to much about that right now.

 Is there anything like this available for FreeBSD? Any other strategies
for filtering viruses?

Jonas