Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 23:23:09 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

> What's going on here is that I'm forcing the issue.

Bullying people around isn't the best way to get things done.  It does
do a good job of getting people angry though.

(See RMS's recent attempt to bully folks around in gnu.misc.discuss).

> (In this entire thread, remember that it holds true for all of
> src/gnu, vi, and anyother major third-party/contrib component. !)

And I disagreed with it then, and still do.

> No I don't think it is optimal to import the uuencoded tarball, but
> it sure as hell beats importing the tree.
>
> Why ?
>
> 1. People will have to make their changes as patches this way.

CVS does that for us.  Having 'patches' doesn't buy us anything when
it's a critical portion of the tree.

> 2. It makes communication with the author(s) easier that we know what
> 	our changes actually are.

When a person sends diffs, either the author accepts them or he doesn't.
TCL changes *radically* from stable version to version, so importing it
via a vendor branch makes it *much* easier to see vs. having to go find
out by where in the patch fits.

> 3. It makes it easier for people to experiment with a never version
> 	on their own.

Ports already allows for this.

> 4. It takes up LESS space.

BS.  The *first* version takes up less space, but for every version
afterwards it takes up *incredibly* more space.  Every new import
effectively doubles the space, since there is probably < 10% overlap in
a uuencoded gzip file.

> 5. It makes Makefiles easier to make.

?  If it makes you feel better, build an empty subdir and stick
everything below it.  You have to untar the file anyway, so have it
'pre-untarred' in the format the Makefile would have it be in.  This is
a straw-man.

> The discussion ?  well, I have tried to start it several times, and
> nobody seemed to care, so they obviously cannot feel too much about it
> ?

BS.  I've argued against through email and in personal conversation.
But Jordan agreed so it didn't matter.

> I hope Peter will import the new GCC the same way, nomatter what we
> decide to do with the tarballs.

I certainly *hope* not, and given his complaints I would think he knows
better than to.

Nate