Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 95 22:56:31 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph P. Kukulies)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: sup is fetching whole src tree

> The international lines are (at least in the academic networks - WIN)
> terribly slow these days. In addition to that it looks like
> sup is fetching a whole src tree - my sup processes hang on fetching
> the whole day and do not come to an end.
>
> Is it because the recent outages of thud/freefall? Or am I seeing
> white mice? :-)

As of this last Memorial Day weekend, AlterNet has replaced one or
more [fried] ports on the router VIENNA1.VA.ALTERNET.NET.

This is according to AlterNet themselves.

There has also been some PacBell equipment dealing with leased lines
in San Diego on the fritz the past couple of days; right now it
seems to have been permanently fixed.  The equipment for that
particular interconnect has been replaced twice because of a cooling
problem that they think is resolved (according to PacBell).

The reroutining because of the bad port was bringing their ATM network
to its knees because it was at near capacity (again, according to
AlterNet -- please aregue that ATM is not an ugly baby with them, not
me, Garrett).  It was also affecting the SprintLink backbone which
is ATM for similar reasons (this time according to Sprint -- again,
you can argue that ATM isn't at fault with them, not me, since they
are two of the larger ATM networks on the planet and they agree).

Currently, the DC SprintLink hub (sl-dc-6-F0/0.sprintlink.net) is
known to have at least one bad port (either the port going out to
sl-dc-8-H1/0-T3.sprintlink.net or to sl-stk-5-H1/0-T3.sprintlink.net).

Most other Internet backbone trouble spots are much less hot, at least
as far as the US is concerned, as far as I know.

Total downtime for this site has been a little over a week where the
net was barely-usable-to-totally-unusable.

I expect things will be happy until the next great catastrophe or
until the backbone providers start sticking routing "fuses" for
traffic overlead between their seperate backbones when the traffic
originates on "alien" backbones.

Oh, oh, what great fun we are having...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu