Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:58:00 -0500
From:      Steve Fettig <lists@stevenfettig.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network Transfer Speed Issues - Tweaks/Advice?

Hi,

I already asked this one in questions thinking that I should try there
before hitting the net list.  Since I haven't received any responses, I
was hoping someone here might have a clue.
I recently set up an NFS server to run daily backups on.  The server was
built using an old P150 w/ 90 MB of ram and a 6GB hard drive.  (All
servers in this experiment are set up using FBSD 4.6.2 and the client is
a Mac PowerBook G4 running Mac OS X.)  Attached to it is an external
SCSI hard drive enclosure with 4 47GB SCSI drives running off an
AHA-2490UW SCSI adapter.  I am getting really odd performance when doing
an NFS transfer (I also get odd performance out of scp) from the machine
I am trying to back up.  I will get a burst of 20Mbps for about 30
seconds, then it will ramp down to 1 Mbps for about 2 minutes, ramp
backup to 20 Mbps, then back down to 1 Mbps and so on.  It take
absolutely forever to do any high volume transfer at this rate.  I
originally thought it was a faulty NIC, so I swapped out my 3Com 509B
Fast Etherlink card for an Intel Pro 10/100 card.  The switch between
cards and also between PCI slots has made no difference.  When I run the
same setup on a PIII 1GHz machine, the results are completely
different.  I get average transfer rates of 20-40 Mbps between the
client and server using the same ethernet hardware.  I have also set up
another test on a dual PII-450 and have the same luck as with the PIII 1
GHz machine.  This is using the same network cables and adapters, but
between faster machines.
I don't have any other services other than NFS running on the old P150,
so I don't understand what would be the root of the problem.
Is there something I can tweak in the kernel config that would help me
attain higher, consistent throughput or am I out of luck with the older
machine?  (By the way, soft updates are enabled on all of the machines.
MaxUsers is set to 0 on the P150 and to 128 on the PIII 1 GHz, but from
what I have read in the Handbook, setting MaxUsers to 0 only helps the
system decide what is best given the current configuration.)  If needed
I can also attach my current kernel config...

Thanks,
Steve