Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:04:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Eric F Crist <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Password security

Hi Eric,

Eric F Crist wrote to 'Ryan Thompson' and freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Have you explored the idea of biometrics?

Yes. Bad idea. I knew someone would suggest that. My original post was
too long already to include biometrics, so, since you asked, here it
is. :-)

> It requires a piece of hardware on each computer that is going to
> access the network, but the way you're making your security
> requirements sound, the security benefit is worth the cost.

Depending on the metric somewhat, collecting biometrics on insecure
systems is a serious security risk. Hardware costs aside (about 20
terminals, a few of which are home systems not even owned by the
company), it's far too easy to replay biometrics if the end system
isn't secure... and, last time I checked, most of my employees had
only 10 fingers each. Once those are gone, what then? Eyeballs? :-)
So, on a lot of levels, biometrics are not an option.

So, let's stick with password security for now. :-)

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

  901 1st Avenue North - Saskatoon, SK - S7K 1Y4

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-3630   Saskatoon