Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2012 10:49:59 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Issues with smartd starting up at boot time - delays sever start?

Hi,

I've noticed on our systems (9.0-Stable, amd64) that starting smartd at
boot time massively extends the startup time of the box.

I think I've traced this down to smartd, and our use of the '-M test'
config option (which sends a test message, apparently forking to 'mail' -
and, as the config man page says - it will block until that command
returns).

For whatever reason (networking not stable at that point in time, MTA not
started yet etc.) - on our machines this leaves smartd handing around for
minutes - before it returns, the machine starts up (and the status emails
arrive).

Can anyone think of a 'simple' fix for this? - Is there anything I can do
to '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/smartd' to make it run later in the startup process?

Does the dreaded '/etc/rc.local' still get run -after- everything else?
(Worst case I could launch it from there).

Thanks,

-Karl