Date:      Thu, 07 Sep 2000 14:19:47 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        mitayai@dreaming.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X on a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop

> Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 01:07:03 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mitayai@dreaming.org>
> Subject: X on a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop
>
> Hello!
>
> I finally got my laptop running with FreeBSD (had to go and dig up a
> rather ancient PCMCIA card to get it to work, and i still can't get it to
> ifconfig automatically on boot-up, but that's anbother story and is just
> a matter of time, i'm sure).

This should work without a problem.  What sort of errors do you get?

> But... my joy is tempered by the fact that i still can't get X working.
>
> FreeBSD 4.1 off CD, full X-windows installed,
> Dell Inspiron 7000 with an 8 Meg ATI Mach64 (Rage II Pro).
>
> I start up the XF86Config program and my screen goes blank when it tried
> to start the X Server. Took me a while to realize that it was directing
> video off to the external port. Function-CRT/LCD does nothing. :-(
>
> Can anyone offer me suggestions on how to get X to actually use the LCD
> screen?

Try entering the BIOS setup (probably press F2 during boot) and explicitly
turn off the external display.  X works fine on my Inspiron 7500, but I'm
pretty sure I made that BIOS change as a precaution before I started the
install.

> Regards,
> Mit
>

> - ---
> Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe
> Toronto, Ontario, Canada
> mitayai@dreaming.org

Good luck.

- Bob

Bob Johnson            Senior Systems Programmer
bob@eng.ufl.edu        College of Engineering
                       523 Weil Hall
352-392-9217 Office    University of Florida
352-392-7063 Fax       Gainesville, FL  32611