Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 2000 16:39:45 -0600
From:      nathan <beemern@telecom.ksu.edu>
To:        Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ad0: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode; HARD READ ERROR blk#25418687

Arcady Genkin wrote:

> It's a GA-586HX.
> http://www.giga-byte.com/gigabyte-web/mdiscontinued.htm#ea4d
> BTW, what is POST?

Power On Self Test - you can read more accurate info than i can provide about it on
web
ex:  http://www.matrix-bios.nl/post.html

> It says "mode 3,4 IDE".  So I guess no DMA for disks.
>
> Now the question is how to disable DMA in the kernel.  I see option
> #options         ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA
> but it's commented out.  Is there any other way to tell the kernel not
> to use DMA for ata driver?

what file is that you are looking at?
hmmm i'm starting to run a thin on ideas.. if indeed you kernel is compiled w/o  DMA
then it might still be detecting it just cuz the drive is saying its DMA capable.

its just hard for me to believe that the onboard controller is bad in such a way that
its corrupting
your drive, but still letting you see drives etc
usually, when they DO break (seldom in my experience) they break completely

heh.. at this point.. i've forgotten your original symptom.. have to recheck

> > rebuild your kernel withOUT DMA and see what happens
>
> I would happily do so.  Now if I only could figure out how... ;^)

see the handbook on building custom kernels on at freebsd.org for complete accurate
instructions
nathan