Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:26:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: feature list journalled fs

> > Solaris DiskSuite almost extends RAID 5 configruations. You can add disks to a
> > RAID 5 set, but the extra disks will only hold data, no parity.
>
> That's normal for RAID-5.  Only one disk in any stripe contains the
> parity information.
>
> Greg

  Except that, if I understand correctly, the new disks don't have parity
for them stored anywhere. They aren't really in on the RAID 5 game, but
tag along and just pretend to be.

  All this talk about extending RAID 5 plexes has got be thinking about
the oft-overlooked RAID 4. I realize this isn't currently implemented in
vinum, but I understand it has similar (although slightly different, not
worse, just different) performance characteristics to RAID 5. But I would
think that RAID 4 would be much simpler to extend because of the fact
only 1 disk contains the parity; rather than restriping, one only needs to
recalculate parity.

  But then again, RAID 4 is one of the black sheep of the RAID family :)

  Kelly

--
Kelly Yancey  -  kbyanc@posi.net  -  Richmond, VA
Director of Technical Services, ALC Communications  http://www.alcnet.com/