Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:47:10 -0400
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        Leigh V <leighv@roq.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun Netra X1 success, almost

Apparently, On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 11:32:24AM +1000,
	Leigh V said words to the effect of;

> > FYI the davicom ethernet in the netra x1 is not supported so you'll have
> > no network.
> If that is the case, how was I able to net boot into the kernel?

Because the kernel is booted by the loader, which uses the prom to
access the ethernet card.

> And I noticed that OpenBSD and NetBSD have support for the davicom ethernet,
> will freebsd ever have it?

Yes.  When is another matter.  The driver needs some changes to work on
FreeBSD/sparc64.

> I installed solaris 9 on it because I had enough of trying to put an open
> source OS on the Netra X1.

Its not for everyone; we do our best.

Jake