Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 13:56:26 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing ports as non-root user.

On Fri 2002-09-27 (19:46), Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 09:41:46AM -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
>
> > Main Question: Is the ports system designed to make it possible to install
> > (all?) ports without being "root"?  Now, obviously, there are ports
> > which one will eventually WANT to run as root or even install as root,
> > but should I be ABLE to do it as non-root?
>
> It hasn't been a design goal in the past.  It would probably be nice
> to support it, but it's a lot of work.
>
> You can _build_ many ports as non-root, but installing tends to
> hard-wire arguments to install(1) that are root-only.

I build most ports I'm porting or upgrading and testing with
ports/Tools/scripts/mkptools/mkpinstall as non-root.  Just copy the
BINOWN and BINGRP stuff from there, and it should work for most ports.

(mkpinstall installs ports into a temporary root and auto-generates
pkg-plists and tests PREFIX/LOCALBASE cleanliness and so forth)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@mithrandr.moria.org