Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 1995 06:10:47 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   A "FreeBSD" Daemon?

It has been decided here that the 2.1 CD is going to be released with
posters, t-shirts and (if I get my way! :) coffee mugs, all covered
with the smiling face of our favorite little daemon character.  These
will be *promotional* items, targeted at journalists, dealers and of
course FreeBSD contributors of note.  I do not know at this time if
we'll be actually selling any of them, but this remains to be
determined (PLEASE do NOT send me mail asking to buy any of the
mentioned items - I will certainly send out additional announcements
when and if it's appropriate to do so).  In any case, the purpose of
this posting is to solicit suggestions as to what exactly we'll be
putting on the promo items.

We have the choice to do the same old thing, namely Kirk's 4.3BSD
daemon (it's generally acknowledged that the 4.4BSD daemon isn't
anywhere near as popular with the BSD devotees!), or we can do
something entirely new!  We have several professional artists here at
Walnut Creek CDROM and it's well within the realm of possibility for
us to do special pictures of the daemon running, jumping,
pole-vaulting, writing code, servicing a combine harvester, whatever
we think is a particularly "FreeBSD" associated activity.  This is all
with Kirk's blessing and has been worked out with him in advance.

The NetBSD folks (well, Theo) did a tee-shirt where they had multiple
daemons straining over a pile of broken terminals to erect a "NetBSD"
flag, in they style of the classic "Marines at Iwo Jima" photograph.
I always thought that this was a better shirt than ours in that they
at least tried to do something creative rather than just slapping the
same old daemon on a shirt.

Of course, it may very well be that the overwhelming majority of
FreeBSD folks out there LIKE the "classic" daemon and would react as
strongly as people did when Coca-Cola changed the recipe! :-) Either
way, I'd like to know.  If we do decide to go with a special daemon, I
also promise to make GIFs of it available long before the first shirt
goes out so you all have a chance to comment on the artwork itself.

So, send me your suggestions!  If your idea wins, I promise you a free
set of FreeBSD shirts, mugs, pens, posters, bubble gum cards, condoms,
etc!

					Jordan