Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 2015 15:49:29 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>
To:        Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu>,  Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>,  "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>,  Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Subject:   Re: Devices with 36-bit paddr on 32-bit system

> %  	struct	resource *res;		/**< @brief the real resource when
> allocated */
> % -	u_long	start;			/**< @brief start of resource range
> */
> % -	u_long	end;			/**< @brief end of resource range */
> % +	bus_addr_t	start;		/**< @brief start of resource range
> */
> % +	bus_addr_t	end;		/**< @brief end of resource range */

Mail programs (mostly mine) corrupted the formatting more competely.

> I think rman functions should use an rman type and not hard-code bus_addr_t.
> Related bus functions should then use this type.  Style bugs from blind
> substitution can be reduced by using a less verbose name.
>
> %  	u_long	count;			/**< @brief count within range */
> %  };

Or just use uintmax_t for everything in rman.  rman was written before
C99 broke C by making u_long no longer the largest integer type.  It
used u_long because it was the largest integer type (though it actually
wasn't, since FreeBSD used nonstandard extensions in Gnu C) and it is
easiest to use a single non-typedefed type that is large enough for all
cases.  uintmax_t is C99's replacement of u_long.

I don't like the bloat from using uintmax_t for everything, but rman
should only used for initialization so uintmax_t for rman should only
give space bloat, only on 32-bit arches.

An rman typedef for this type allows re-optimizing the 32-bit arches,
but brings back the problem of typedefed types being hard to use.

Bruce