Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 22:24:28 -0000
From:      "Rich Wood" <rich@dynamite.org>
To:        freebsd-chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: any news on w2k in the world?

On 2 Mar 00, at 20:08, Brad Knowles wrote:

>  Can you actually administer the bloody thing remotely, or are you
> stuck to putting a console on every machine?

Yes. It now (finally) provides a built-in telnet server. Admittedly this
isn't a huge amount of use on NT, but does make it feasible to do
many things remotely.

More usefully all versions except Professional now include the
functionality that was formally sold as Terminal Server, this can be
installed in what MS call (IIRC) remote administration mode. This
allows you to do pretty much everything remotely that you can do
at the console.

> How many users can you
> get on a single server -- is it more than 100?

Depends what you do.

>  Let's not start on the subject of rebooting the server to install any
> new software, or fix even the most trivial of problems ("Damn.
> Exchange crashed again.  Now I have to reboot to get it to restart."),
> or re-installing the OS every five minutes if there is a serious
> problem.

MS have (supposidly) removed a lot of requirements to reboot now,
quite how many I'm not sure yet.

However if you need to reboot NT servers frequently you are doing
something wrong. The NT servers that I support for a living
generally only get rebooted for upgrades or power failures.

Rich
--
rich@dynamite.org       rich@FreeBSD.org.uk