Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:38:54 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, ache@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/config main.c

Greg Lehey wrote:

> In any case, it's all very well to "agree", but none of you have
> presented any arguments for your viewpoint.  In particular you, Ken,
> have in the past asked people to use a debug kernel to get adequate
> information after a panic.  If no symbols is the default, 99% of
> people who have problems won't be able to report them.  As I proposed
> in the discussion on -hackers, this solution should make everybody
> happy: there is no difference in the running system, on modern
> machines it only takes fractionally longer to build a debug kernel,
> and it helps a lot in finding problems.

You failed to mention one of the most important points, Greg. People
have argued that in a production machine you don't want the excess.
In this case, the "excess" is just a few megabytes of disk space,
and not even that if you use -s. Someone who doesn't fails to learn
about the change and the new flag has a good chance of needing the
kernel with debug symbols built by default. And, most important of
all, if a production machine crashes, it is very likely that you
*don't want* to reboot it just to install a new kernel, and you
almost certainly don't want to try to reproduce the panic. So, for a
production server, it's better to have the kernel with debug symbols
built by default.

It can also be argued that *not* doing it serves almost no purpose.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"nothing better than the ability to perform cunning linguistics"