Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 14:55:56 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        randal@comtest.com
Cc:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Embeded applications?

> 1. Software BIOS emulation, INT 13H.  Also identified as Flash File System.
> This mean that you can only access the flash through BIOS call interrupt 13H.
> Using INT 13H you can specify CHS(cylinder,head,sector) values to access the
> flash.  It does not have any hardware compatibility with IDE I/O ports or
> registers.  Since DOS commands rely only on BIOS calls to access hard drives,
> this type of emulation works with the standard DOS commands FDISK and FORMAT.
> FreeBSD kernel cannot see this type of flash since it cannot call BIOS
> routines. (this is the type of flash that is built onto the PC/104 CPU board I
> am using)

Actually, FreeBSD-current probably *can* talk to this sort of flash
disk, although there are some missing components (the disk driver, eg.).

Someone with a BIOS-only flash disk would be the perfect candidate to
complete this support.

> I will try using the rawboot, since I do not need FFS.  Technically I do not
> have access to FFS anyway as explained above, since I am using software BIOS
> flash drive.

You can use the normal boot1/boot2 bootloaders, as they have enough FFS
support internally to read the kernel.

> I still need to figure out once I have the kernel and MFS built.  How to
> transfer that to the flash drive?  I need some kind of program that
> can transfer an image to the flash drive using BIOS-INT 13H calls.

Write the boot image to a floppy, boot DOS on the target system and use
diskcopy.

> This would be an alternative.  Since I can format the flash drive as a
> bootable DOS FAT partition.  And put the fbsdboot.exe and a bootable kernel
> image in it.  And then boot DOS and have autoexec.bat execute fbsdboot.exe on
> startup.

This wastes (lots of) space.

> NOTE: FYI, "FFS" acronyms is used in two ways.
> In FreeBSD FFS stands for Fast File System.
> In the PC/104 industry FFS stands for Flash File System.
> It can get confusing at times... :)

Yes.  Although the Flash File System extends beyond just the BIOS
interface.