Date:      Thu, 04 Oct 2001 08:38:54 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        rizzo@aciri.org (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to increase TCP and UDP buffers (for IPv4/IPv6)

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 15:54:44 +0000 (UTC), in sentex.lists.freebsd.net you
wrote:

>> Hi:
>>=20
>> It's possible to increase the TCP and UDP buffers ?
>>=20
>> I've had problems with UDP packets of 64 bytes discarded with a =
bandwith
>> of 2-3 Mbits, using a FreeBSD-4.3 router in a link of 10 Mbits.
>
>a router does not buffer through traffic in a socket buffer (which is
>what "TCP and UDP buffers" are) but on the interface queues and ipintrq,
>which are typically 50 packets.
>If this is the case you should see ipintrq drops listed
>with
>
>	sysctl net.inet.ip.intr_queue_drops
>
>and you could try to increase the size of that queue with something like
>
>	sysctl -w net.inet.ip.intr_queue_maxlen=3D100

Hi,
Are there any nasty side effects for increasing this value ? Also, how
would one go about tracking down why net.inet.ip.intr_queue_drops is
incrementing ?

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)