Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 03:14:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to people feel about adding an AUTHOR convention to ports?

 * That is, a variable defined in the Makefile which contains an author
 * string purely for 2 cosmetic reasons:
 *
 * 1. You can easily see where it came from, as opposed to who's simply
 *    maintaining the FreeBSD port itself (which is all that MAINTAINER
 *    tells you).
 *
 * 2. The author gets more prominent credit, not having their work "swallowed"
 *    so much by the ports mechanism that many become anonymous to those users
 *    who aren't motivated enough to go digging through the port's work
 *    directory.
 *
 * I'm sure we could also use the extra information to dress up the web
 * pages a little bit.

You mean we put things like "AUTHOR=rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu" for emacs?

Hmm...well I don't know, it seems like just some extra work for the
porters for not really much gain.  If the authors wants 2, they would
have declared it themselves in the manpages.... :)

Besides, how exactly are you planning to use it?  The author can be a
group of people, just a name and snail mail address (no e-mail), a
company name, etc...so it's not like you can stick in a mailto: to
have it underlined like MAINTAINER.... ;)

Satoshi