Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 21:42:44 -0000
From:      "James Van Vleet" <jvanvleet@sei-it.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD as a serial mux? (Serial <-> FreeBSD <-> WAN <-> FreeBSD <-> Serial)

	I found this question a few times in my mailing list searches, but couldn't
find an answer.  If I have the wrong mailing list, please let me know.

	Is there a way to use FreeBSD as a serial mux?  What I want to do is
replace an existing leased line that is connected to serial multiplexers
with a more modern WAN (TCP/IP) connection.  The downside is that I still
need to provide the serial muxing connection.  So really what I need is a
way to remotely run some terminals that are proprietary enough to not have
emulation, as in serial in one server and serial out the other server.  This
seems useful enough that I would be surprised is someone has not already
done it (without requiring expensive terminal servers!) Any thoughts or
suggestions are appreciated.

-James