Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:34:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: What is the magical incantation necessary to print to /dev/ulpt0

Quoting Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>:

> At 11:49 PM -0700 8/14/01, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> >I'd be interested in models from the Lexmark side.  A number of
> >years back when I was supporting printers in a corporate setting
> >I dealt with only HP and so never learned what was hot on the
> >Lexmark side.
>

> I should note that I work on the "software side" of printer support,
> and from that angle I prefer lexmarks over HP's.  HP's seem to always
> have some little quirk which gets in my way...

I agree 100%.  HP software sucks rocks in general.  It never works right out
of the box without waiting months for patches.  I've got stories and stories.

My most current is at work we just updated to the latest HPPCL drivers for
the 5si - as a result we had to remove the postscript simm from the 5si because
the postscript chip rev level wasn't compatible in some way with the latest
w2K drivers.  And we had to update to the latest w2k drivers because the ones
that came with w2k (that HP wrote) had some other bug in them.  And we couldn't
use the Postscript drivers for w2k because of yet another bug.  It's a
neverending cycle of bugs begatting bugfixes which begat more bugs and so
on and so on.  Thank goodness I only deal with Postscript at home!  They
are fine if you just make everything Postscript.

Ted