Date:      Tue, 23 May 1995 17:37:58 EDT
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: I need Easyacsess-like tools on FreeBSD

> > operation (especially, locking modifier keys).  Moreover, a few
> > handicapped people in our campus uses FreeBSD for their studies.  They
> > and I are so happy if FreeBSD and/or XFree86 supports such
> > accessibility features.
> >
> Windows 95 has a keyboard facility where if you hold down a modifier
> key for one minute, it brings up a dialog asking if you want to go into
> a mode where the modifier keys are latched on.  The problem with making
> this a generic facility in FreeBSD is that it requires the ability to
> pop up a dialog, so it would be mode dependent.  The X facility is also
> difficult because it requires modification of the keyboard driver, and
> this is not common code -- it would have to be done for each X DDX layer,
> like the frame output.

These features, and more, are part of the XKB extension to X11. XKB is
work-in-progress in X11R6 and will be a full-fledged X Consortium
standard for the next release of X11. Unfortunately only the Sun and
OMRON servers had XKB support enabled in R6; however it should not be
too difficult to enable it in the XFree86 servers.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY