Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 13:08:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bryan Carter Vyhmeister <tech@macflash.com>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Alps GlidePoint tapping disable issue

I have wanted to disable touchpad tapping on my Sony VAIO Z505LE since I
installed FreeBSD. I am currently running FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE. I was able
to go into the psm.c driver and comment out two sections dealing with
tapping. Doing this disabled tapping. I suspended my notebook and then
came back later only to find that tapping had come back. Apparently,
tapping is enabled whenever I come back from suspend. I tried enabling
PSM_HOOKRESUME and PSM_RESETAFTERSUSPEND in the kernel and that seemed to
keep tapping disabled. The problem is, after I come back from a suspend,
the mouse moves very, very slowly. I tried setting different flags
manually according to man psm but that didn't help any.

I am not much of a programmer but I am curious why this is happening. I
would think that after a suspend the touchpad would reinitialized using
the kernel psm driver. This would cause tapping to be disabled. It seems
as though this is not the case. Also, it does not make sense why my mouse
would be so incredibly slow after a suspend with those two options set.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am wondering if the routine for
reinitializing the touchpad after suspend could be modified to fix this
problem.

Bryan