Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 11:53:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com
Cc:        imp@village.org, lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at, dennis@etinc.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux 96 (my impressions)

> Disadvantage:  I couldn't mount either FreeBSD or Solaris-formatted UFS
> filesystems, even though there is a (read-only) UFS filesystem support.  I
> just got a bunch of messages (including "f**king Sun blows me" whatever
> that's supposed to mean!!) and an empty mount point.

Heh.  Their VFS architecture is inherently damaged in design.  This
isn't obvious until you try to do something complicated with it (ext2fs
isn't complicated, even though it is -- kinda -- nifty).

The BSD VFS architecture is an inherently clean design, damaged in
implementation.

Right now, for instance, neither one of them could be used easily to
implement a writeable NTFS that was as reliable as NTFS when it is
run under NT (Microsoft's IFS architecture is a kludge, but it is
an internalling consistent kludge).  But if I had to choose somewhere
to implement a read/write NTFS (instead of Linux's read-only NTFS),
I would definitely start hacking the FreeBSD before the Linux.

Before anyone blames this on native bias, I have contributed a number
of fixes for memory leaks in error cases to the Linux FS architecture,
and have hacked on UMSDOS, and even implemented a full FS in it, so
I am not someone speaking from ignorance here.

Supporting a Solaris FS is pretty trivial, and I plan to do it as soon
as I can get my JAZ drive to reliably act as a boot device.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.