Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:36:14 +0000
From:      m.jakeman@lancaster.ac.uk
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ifnet struct interface type

Hi,

I am writing some code that is using the systems ifnet structs via
ifnet_byindex(), I have two network interfaces :

broadcom BCM6750A1M using the 'bge' driver
Intel PRO/wireless 2915ABG using the 'iwi' driver

I have written some code to output the ifnet->if_type for each interface and
it shows that both have type 6 (IFT_ETHER).

My question is why do they both have this type when there are
IFT_GIGABITETHERNET and IFT_IEEE80211? I was planning on using this value to
distinguish what sort of connection each interface is using but obviously
with both returning IFT_ETHER this is not possible, any help is much
appreciated!

Cheers
Matt