Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 16:48:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, graeme@echidna.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux (was: a couple ?'s)

David Kelly wrote,
> "Crist J. Clark" writes:
> > [0] But I still do not know if I actually got things working again
> > much or any faster than I would have without paid tech support. In
> > fact, I still was forced to resort to Usenet support. The disk crashed
> > on a Friday and I came into work on Saturday to try to have things in
> > working order by Monday. The regular SGI tech support only runs
> > weekdays roughly during U.S. business hours. To get help on Saturday,
> > my only recourse was help from fellow SGI users and admin (who read
> > comp.sys.sgi.admin on Saturday afternoons =).
>
> That's not quite true. SGI has a 24/7 plan with something like a 1 hour
> guaranteed initial response. The common support plan (the more
> affordable one) is open something like 10 hours per day, 5 days per
> week, off most holidays, and a 4 hour initial reply. It all depends on
> how many thousands of dollars per year you wish to pay to support one
> box.

Yeah, the recorded message telling you that the regular tech number is
off-hours gives you the number for the 24/7 service. However, I was
still stuck. Even if I wanted to sign up for the 24/7 service
right-then-and-there to get access, there was no way to do that
either.

The prices are pretty mind boggling. You have to be saving yourself a
_lot_ of hours versus doing the research to fix a problem yourself to
make it worthwhile. Of the other calls I have made, a couple were
products of poor documentation on SGIs part, one was a hardware
problem they never could figure out but we eventually fixed on our
own, and the remainder just helped me with an ugly work-around (which
I could have done on my own) and never actually fixed the real problem
(or verified the problem was 'a known bug' which made me feel so much
better).

Wow, this is way off-topic. Yikes, I'm done with this thread.