Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 00:50:34 -0500
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Graeme@echidna.com
Subject:   Preventing/terminating remote logins

For certain administrative tasks, I need to be able to ensure I'm the
only user on a remote system - that is, I need to boot existing users
(telnet and ftp) off, and prevent new logins.

I know I can make a /etc/nologin file, but then if I lose my connection,
I'm dead.

Is there a safe way to block logins other than my own?

Also, what is the right way to forcibly remove existing users, should
they not voluntarily go away? Should I just kill all their processes?

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna