Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:28:30 GMT
From:      "lachlan kanaley" <dunaedain@hotmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   serial cards

hello

I'm trying to attach a terminal to my computer, but I would like to use my
modem at the same time.
however, My one free irq cannot be used by the serial card, which can use
irq's 3-6.
I know that in windows com1 can share an irq with com3 on the second card,
and com2 can share one with com4.
this does not seem to be possible under FreeBSD, according to the sio man
page, hence only the first two com ports work, with the other two not
with the shared irq's.

if anyone knows how I could get these 4 com ports to work I would be greatly
appreciative.  Can the com ports share irq's with other devices?

Could you please CC the message to me as im not on the mailing list.

here is the setup of my system.
irq     hardware
00      system timer
01      Keyboard
02      Programeable interrupt controller
03      com4
04      com3
05      AWE 32 Soundcard
06      Standard FDD Controller
07      Printer Port LPT1
08      System CMOS/Real time clock
09      UNUSED
10      Standard IDE/ESDI HDD Controller
11      PCI/VGA Display Adaptor
12      Ne2000 ethernet card
13      Numeric Data Processor
14      Primary IDE Controller
15      Standard IDE/ESDI HDD Controller

It is a p166/32M ram
dual boot windows wd0s1 and FreeBSD wd0s2, using the BSD boot loader
second HDD wd1s1 - dosfat
IDE cdrom
vt320 dumb terminal

thanks