Date:      Sat, 7 Feb 1998 15:39:16 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Keith Pitcher <kpitcher@weirdness.com>, Owner Questions FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: adduser

On Fri,  6 February 1998 at 23:56:11 -0500, Keith Pitcher wrote:
> I just installed 2.2.5 and am a new user to FreeBSD. I've noticed a few
> strange things, and haven't came across the answers in the mans or the
> Complete FreeBSD book.

I only see one strange thing below.  Are there more?

> I created one other user (keithp) in the system install. Now I can't use
> Xwindows with this user. Other Users that I have since created with
> adduser can access Xwindows. For some reason the /usr/X11R6/bin is not
> being added to the path, even though it is defined in the .login
>
> 1) Why did this happen?

At a guess, there's a bug in your .login, or you're not running a csh
or similar shell.  See page 151/152 of the Second Edition for the
relationships.

> 2) How do I fix this without removing/re-adding the user

Fix your .login file (if you're using *csh) or put the information in
the correct file if you're using a different shell.

Greg