Date:      Tue, 7 Jun 2005 08:27:37 -0700
From:      James Sarrett <dinosaur@aztecfreenet.org>
To:        freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apple x86 Ramifications?

I second that. All pessimism aside, FreeBSD/PPC isn't an apple =20
product.  It isn't even targeted apple specific.  If apple wants to =20
become a software company or whatever this crazy(cagey?) new strategy =20=

is, it doesn't make our job as developers(hackers ;-) ) any less =20
relevant.  In fact it means that we have a chance to build a better =20
box and not compete with one more company.  Don't misunderstand me, I =20=

love my mac, but FreeBSD serves a completely different purpose.  Many =20=

people around the various internet news sites have been calling this =20
move crazy and terrible, saying it will ruin a good computing =20
environment.  We have an opportunity not to do what they are, =20
throwing the proverbial bathwater out with the baby.  And don't =20
forget guys, AIX is still evil, Linux us still a bad hack job, and =20
NetBSD isn't as fast as it should be, so RS/6000s and like peter said =20=

Pegasos, Freescale and others are largely in need of a real operating =20=

system, not to mention old and useful Macs.  I say that now FreeBSD =20
has a unique opportunity to become a market leader in the PPC world, =20
and unless the whole universe has gone topsy-turvy that would be a =20
Good Thing=E2=84=A2.

Just my $.02

- - -James