Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2005 14:21:06 -0500
From:      "Michael G. Jung" <mikej@confluenttech.com>
To:        <freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org>, <freebsd-sparc64@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   locale support by Xlib - X configuration on Ultra2

Greetings:

I'm attempting to get X working on Ultra2 - With many thanks
to Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>, I was able to=20
get keyboard support working on both Ultra2 and Ultra1-E=20
using 6.0-CURRENT.

For X I'm using a serial mouse which seems to work fine,=3D20
however the keyboard does not function as expected
within X applications like Kword, xterm, etc.

Keys on the keyboard produce incorrect but=3D20
consistent key patterns on the screen.  For
example in xterm the key"4" always produces=3D20
"ff", key "5" produces "fg", key "6" produces=3D20
"fh" etc.

The keyboard works great outside of X. This is Xorg
6.8.1 implementation or X installed from ports.

When I started firing off xterm on a remote machine
targeting the sun's local DISPLAY I got the messages:

 Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
 Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
 Failed to open input method

Which if I get it right means that Xlib doesn't know how
to map the keyboard for my locallity set by the variable
LANG ??

How do you know what locales xlib supports?  looking in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale or the output of locale -a hasn't
yielded results for me.  I certainly don't have any=20
experience here... I've tried many values but only with the
same results...

I know this is bleeding edge on these old Sparc boxes - thanks
in advance for any suggestions.

--mikej