Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 08:41:40 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Fred Clift <fred@veriohosting.com>
To:        Paje da Oca <root@maloca.oca.org.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RBL/Sendmail

> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Fred Clift wrote:
>
> >  On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, keith wrote:
> >
> >  > I've been thinking about signing on with RBL. It seems like it may impose
> >
> > My basic feeling about RBL is that the folks who run it are a bit
> > fanatical.  At my past job, hosts which I controlled were submitted to RBL
>
>    Well, at least you have one more vote on your side. I received much
>    more complaints from our users for loosing 4 or 5 messages which they
>    considered important, than for hundred of unsolicited mail.
>
>    Y agree that it is safer to implement a local filtering policy or
>    (depending on the technical ability of your users), passing to them
>    the task.

Note that I was speaking about ORBS, not RBL as I mistakenly wrote, but I
agree with your statement that it is better to implement local
filtering.  something of the two-mailbox variety where all the approved
stuff goes to one and all the 'filtered' stuff goes to another.  Then,
you're welcome to never check your spam-box if you dont want, but if you
are sure you are missing a mail that you should have, then you can check
the other for recent additions.  Perhaps you could have quota on the spam
box and use some sort of LRU (U? LRR R==recieved...) replacement
scheme.  Hm this would probably be a big delivery headache and chew lots
of disk IO and cpu.  well, shrug, its only an idea.

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fred@veriohosting.com -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.