Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:38:44 -0400
From:      Jason Keltz <jas@cse.yorku.ca>
To:        "Desai, Kashyap" <Kashyap.Desai@lsi.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mps target difference between FreeBSD 9 and 9.1 RC

Hi Kashyap,

Thanks for your reply.  I had seen mention of this different between
"enclosure slot mapping" and "device mapping" before, but I can't find
any "enclosure slot mapping" or "device mapping" option on the LSI
9205-8e card BIOS screen.   Maybe you or someone else can tell me where
to look for this option in the BIOS?  I'm running the latest IT/non-RAID
firmware released by LSI for this card.

I did go into the BIOS and write down all the details for the disks and
match this up with FreeBSD 9.1 daX/target mapping.  At least now, the
results that I'm getting don't seem so "random".    Here are the details:

Slot,PhyNum,Scan_Order,daX,target
[9205-8e card 1]
5,12,10,da0,33
0,13,11,da1,34
1,14,12,da2,35
2,15,13,da3,36
3,16,14,da4,37
4,17,15,da5,38
6,18,16,da6,39
7,19,17,da7,40
8,20,18,da8,41
11,21,19,da9,42
10,22,20,da10,43
9,23,21,da11,44

[9205-8e card 2]
17,24,10,da12,20
16,25,11,da13,21
15,26,12,da14,22
14,27,13,da15,23
22,28,14,da16,24
23,29,15,da17,25
18,30,16,da18,26
19,31,17,da19,27
13,32,18,da20,28
12,33,19,da21,29
20,34,20,da22,30
21,35,21,da23,31

It appears that the daX devices are enumerated by the new driver in
either the phy order or scan order.

It's still not clear to me why the first 9205-8e card would always see,
say, slot 5 first, then 0, 1, 2,...,11,10,9 instead of 0,1,2,3,... but I
guess it must be a complex timing issue.  If I had different disks in
the unit that took different time to spin up, I guess the results might
be different?

It's also not really clear to me why targets start at 20.  In the end,
it doesn't really matter what the targets are, but I'd like to
understand why they are the way they are.

I was able to hard-code the targets in /boot/device.hints to make it so
that da0 was slot 0, da1 was slot 1, etc.  Booting with every other disk
removed, the mappings remained the same, but this is rather dangerous
because it relies on the Phy order, and this might change if the disks
changed, so it's not ultimately a solution.  Ultimately, I need to
understand how to enable the slot mapping functionality if it's
available on the 9205-8e card.  This would force the daX devices to be
enumerated by slot number.

I have a different system using an internal LSI 9211-8i card, also with
the latest IT firmware,  but it is connected to a Chenbro CK12803
expander which has 16 internal SATA disks attached.  On that system, in
the LSI BIOS, I can't see the disks at all - just the Chenbro expander,
so I can't print all the details of the mappings like I did above, but
the LSI status screen that displays the disks before going into the
BIOS  prints all the disks, but reports "ENC SLOT 0" for all of them.
Here, there's probably some incompatibility with the Chenbro card (even
though it's listed on the hardware compatibility list of the card).
Without the 9211-8i seeing the proper slot mapping on this system, I'm
guessing that enabling slot mapping in the BIOS probably wouldn't help here.

Thanks for any help/feedback,

Jason.