Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:26:07 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Clemens Hermann <haribeau@gmx.de>
Cc:        Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: redundant servers

Clemens Hermann schrieb:

> Hi Colin,
>
> > If you want to try Linux, there's a myriad of ways.
>
> I have been using Linux for quite a while on my webserver-box. The
> problems/inconveniences I encounterd are the reason I switched to FreeBSD
> and I am far away from going back ;-)

Well, I agree. Our Linux boxes do serve everything well, but maintaining
them is a pain in the a***.

> > As far as I can see, FreeBSD has none of these. :-(
>
> As there does not seem to be a perfect solution, how can I achive a reilable
> system that involves more than one box besides redundant hardware? Are there
> any "small" hints how at least parts can be made to work?

To have some failsafe measure short of a HA solution, you can easily set
up two boxes.

The first is the production server. Use MySQLs replication feature to
have the db replicated onto the slave. rsync, cpdup or even tar over NFS
gets all the other stuff updated in a cron job.

Don't try to automate the switch to your fallback machine: this is what
makes HA expensive. Instead have some watchdog scripts check the
availablilty of the other machine. If anything fails, send an alarm to
your pager, SMS, or whatever you like. Do the failover switch by hand
(probably assisted by some prepared scripts). There are just too much
possibilities how a machine can fail to have all of this automated
without a budget.

Just my EUR.02
-Christoph Sold