Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 16:13:08 +0100
From:      Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
To:        Nick Hilliard <nick@iol.ie>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Class C hack instead of ifconfig aliases

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 11:02:08AM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> > What do you mean by "bind a class C"?  Make an interface so it will
> > respond to incoming requests for 10.1.2.x?  ewww, yuck!
>
> Is it any less elegant than having in_localaddr() trawling through each item
> on the address list?  Perhaps 1024 items if you've got a large vweb server?
> That's also pretty inelegant.

The patch refered to elsewhere comes from Demon Internet where it was (at least
in my time) used to two /18s and a /16 without problems, this would have
been completely impractical through more conventional means.

As I continue to work with large scale virtual hosting set ups I would quite
like to see this enter the main source tree, allthough I guess people likely
to make use of it are a very small minority.

In an effort to avoid what may follow, I fully appreciate HTTP 1.1 vhosting
is much more appropriate in many situations, this does not however
remove the need for large scale conventional virtual hosting alltogether.

--
GeoffB