Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 1998 13:57:53 +0000
From:      Mark Dawson <md@doc.ic.ac.uk>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CPQ Smart-2 PCI Disk Array Controllers

Michael,

> I knew about this driver, but it was unclear if there were any legal
> issues w/ Compaq.

When I enquired about this through a Compaq support person two years ago
I received an email saying there was no need to be concerned.  Indeed
the santified release of the Linux driver means they have now put the
controller interface in the public domain.

> Aside from the block and character numbers are there
> any issues that would prevent this code from being committed to the CVS
> repository?

My main requirement is that I can install FreeBSD on hardware that only
has RAID disks.  For this to work the installation boot floppy needs to
know about Smart as a boot device.  David James <dwj@agw.bt.co.uk> has
built a series of such cuckoo-enabled floppies for FreeBSD-2.x.  He also
has patches that allow FBSD to boot natively and these would also need
to be merged and committed.

> I'd like to run FBSD on the Proliant 1850R.

Should be no problem.

Mark