Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:36:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Drive Copy

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
> James Wyatt wrote some time ago:
> > and user tar/cpio to transfer files.
> These programs are the wrong tools to do it. They can be used to handle
> regular files and {hard,soft} links but they will fail for device nodes,
> sparse files and all the other nice features. Use dump, dump or dump:
>
> cd /
> mount /new-root-partition /mnt
> dump 0af - | (cd /mnt ; restore -rf -)
> umount /mnt

Thanks, due to ancient experiences with dump/restore on an old BSD VAX and
a Tandy RS/6000, I've disliked dump by default, but this is a great use
for it and I need to update my feelings about dump/restore. I usually use
tar to move files and cpio to backup disks and MAKEDEV to build the devs
on the new system. I like your solution better.

That said, because you're using a -f and doing a while tree, I'd try:

    dump 0af - | (cd /mnt && restore -rf -)
                          ^^
or, more likely:

    (cd /oldfilesysbase && dump 0af -) | (cd /mnt && restore -rf -)

Anyone who types as badly as I do will *love* that the restore isn't done
unless the cd works. Thanks for the other missing pieces. FWIW, I usually
use "dangerously dedicated" on everything but multiboot laptops so the
disklabel clue was great.

> Murphy was an optimist. The first step is to create and verify a backup
> on a reliable and removable medium.

Like dd-ing it to another hard drive? (^_^) Oh yeah, the *tape* drive...

Does anyone have bootable tape support on x86? The MakeSysB tape
generation on AIX boxes rocks. There also used to be a SCO-usable
product (CTar?) that made a tape and a boot floppy. Both worked well.

Thanks again for the useful reply. Vielen dank! - Jy@