Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 12:24:02 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        taxman <taxman@acd.net>, Wizard of Wor <wauf@hello.hu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: minimum memory [was: A simple question about FreeBSD]

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 07:17:51AM +1100, Sue Blake
<sue@welearn.com.au> wrote:

> This memory question comes up a lot, and I'm not sure how up to date
> that part of the documentation is. Has anyone _definitely_ run an
> install on a machine with only 8MB in the last couple of years?
>
> Twice I have failed to install (boot floppy with CD) to machines with
> only 8MB RAM. It could have been FreeBSD 4.4, but I think it was
> FreeBSD 3.3. I'd love to discover that I'm wrong here.
>
> Of course the alternative is to put the disk in another machine to do
> the install, then it should run OK back in the 8MB machine. As for X,
> forget trying it. If it was installed it "would run" but not usably,
> no matter how much swap. Without X and with plenty of swap you can do
> a lot with your 8MB in text mode if you can get an installation going.
> I had a 386 with 8MB running FreeBSD 2.x (without X) that ran much
> faster than the NT4 pentium beside it. The 486 CPU should be fine.

Even 4.4 didn't install using standard release floppies and 8MB of
memory. I had to build custom stripped down kernel. Otherwise 8MB
and 80Mhz 486 has plenty of power to run home DSL gateway with IP
firewall, ssh, ftpd and whatnot. Of course the bandwidth of your DSL
connection matters, if you have 8Mbit/s connection you must use
netgraph/mpd.
--

Vallo Kallaste