Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 07:43:02 +0000
From:      Tim Clark <timclark@ams-ltd.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Trouble installing on SCSI-only system

I am failing to install 2.1.6 on a PC with just a SCSI disk. At the
point where the install is committed, it tries for a long time to write
the partition table (at least that's what the message says) then gives
up with an IO error. The hardware is as follows.
Compaq Deskpro EN (500MHz Pentium III)
128 MByte memory
IDE CDROM  (on secondary IDE interface - FreeBSD 2.1.6 distribution is
on this)
Adaptec 2940AU interface card (PCI)
IBM UltraStar 9ES (4.5GB) hard disk (on SCSI ID=0)
no IDE hard disks
Intel Ethernet card

I know that the hardware is OK, because I have installed two other OSes
on it (Windows95 and QNX).

Any help much appreciated.
[PS There are historical reasons why I am installing 2.1.6 and not a
more recent version.]
[PPS I posted this to freebsd-questions as well.]

Regards