Date:      Sun, 17 Apr 2011 07:21:35 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Lystopad Olexandr <laa@laa.zp.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS root on MB Intel S3420GP

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 04:32:32PM +0400, Lystopad Olexandr wrote:
> I have this hardware:
>
> smbios.system.maker="Intel Corporation"
> smbios.system.product="S3420GP"
>
> with 4G ram and 4x WD 500G drives.
>
> I try both raids in the bios, in both cases i try raid 10.
> I.e. I have 1Tb ar0 device.

I strongly urge you to remove use of Intel RST[1].  It's been confirmed
many times over[2] that FreeBSD's support for it is broken in many
regards.  You are putting your data at extreme/great risk using it.
Something as simple as a single-disk failure could result in the
*entire* loss of your array.  You will need to read the PRs listed at
Wikipedia slowly, and in full to understand the nature of the problem.
Do not skim them.

I cannot stress the importance of this enough.  This is not a joke nor
is it overblown.  I recommend you rely on ZFS entirely, and run your
SATA controller in AHCI mode instead.  My personal recommendation would
be to use UFS for your root filesystem (or even gmirror) and use ZFS for
the rest.

With regards to AHCI mode: Most of us strongly advocate use of ahci.ko
(not ataahci.ko; they differ), which does SATA<->CAM translation.  You
also gain NCQ capability using this.  Be aware your disks will appear as
"adaX" (not a typo), and you will use "camcontrol" (rather than
"atacontrol") to maintain them.  Utilities like smartmontools do work
with this.  Many of us (users and developers) have been using ahci.ko
reliably for 1-2 years now.

> After reading http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/RAIDZ1 I
> try to install FreeBSD on this box, but I change ad0..ad1.. to my
> ar0 device. I try to have zfs on intel raid10.
>
> All commands run successfully, but after reboot I have:
>
> gptzfsboot no zfs pools located: can't boot
>
> What mistake I made?
>
> What best solution with my hardware exist?

I imagine what you're trying to accomplish won't work given that the
disk geometry and other mechanics are completely lost given use of
Intel RST, and *especially* with regards to the boot sequence.

Furthermore, the bootstraps you're using imply use of GPT; did you
configure your setup using GPT?  I'm guessing not.

[1]: Known as "Intel Rapid Storage Technology", "Intel MatrixRAID",
"Intel HostRAID", "Intel Embedded Server RAID Technology", "Intel Matrix
Storage RAID Technology", and many other terms.  Intel keeps changing
the term/labelling of this BIOS-level RAID, almost certainly for
marketing purposes.

[2]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Rapid_Storage_Technology
Note that FreeBSD PRs are provided in the article.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |