Date:      Tue, 08 Jan 2002 23:33:08 -0600
From:      Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Impoving NFS performance

At 06:41 PM 1/8/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>FTP = ~80k/sec
>SMB = ~60k/sec
>NFS = ~25k/sec (although one test showed 2.5k/sec - ugh!)
>Fellow I work with claims that this is just the way NFS is and that we
>should abandon
>it for other file-sharing methods.
>Anyone have any light to shed on this? Is NFS inherently slower than SMB
>and other
>protocols? If no, what can be done to speed things up?

Bill, you should consider getting O'Reilly's _Managing NFS and NIS, 2nd
Edition_. It is an excellent read and will certainly help with performance
troubleshooting. Anyway, this kind of performance isn't normal. Start
poking around with nfsstat. Also, you may need to evaluate your traffic
patterns and adjust your read and write size to suit your network. Finally,
since this is a WAN environment, evaluate the the MTU of your links and how
it can be affecting the situation.

Regards, Dustin

---
Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
Information Systems Consultant
http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams