Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2012 09:27:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, Roman Divacky <rdivacky@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "toolchain@freebsd.org" <toolchain@freebsd.org>, "current@freebsd.org" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Clang as default compiler November 4th

Hello;=0A=A0=0AJust my $0.02.=0A=A0=0A----- Original Message -----=0A=A0...=
=0A> Can you, please, read what I wrote ? Fixing _ports_ to compile with=0A=
> clang is plain wrong. Upstream developers use gcc almost always for=0A> d=
evelopment and testing. Establishing another constant cost on the=0A> porti=
ng work puts burden on the ports submitters, maintainers and even=0A> ports=
 users.=0A> =0A> I do strongly oppose the attempt to drain the freebsd reso=
urces by=0A> forcing porters to port third-party code to other compiler.=0A=
> =0A=0AI can only speak for Apache OpenOffice but since Apple did the swit=
ch=0Aalready we are feeling a growing pressure to port OpenOffice to clang.=
=0A=0AFor the time being we need gcc but we would really prefer something=
=0Amore up to date than gcc 4.2.1 + fixes. In other words, yes making=0Acla=
ng the default may sound drastic but I am OK with killing base=0Agcc and if=
 clang is what is left I can live with it.=0A=0APedro.