Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 20:28:03 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Mark" <admin@asarian-host.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: denied packet, where?

> How quaint! Today, one of the (standard) daily security scripts returned
> this:
>
>     test-server denied packets:
>     test-server kernel log messages:
>     >  1 READY ad6: 39205MB <Maxtor 2F040J1> [79656/16/63] at ata3-master
> UDMA133
>
> I take it that had to go to /var/log/messages? Which would mean I am
> inadvertently blocking a packet. Well, pardon my daftness, but what port
> would that be blocked on then? I checked /var/log/security, but that is
> empty. If it were an ipfw issue, I think it would have wound up in
> /var/log/security, right?

Yes.  But you're not denying any packets.  The lack of any lines of data
between "test-server denied packets:" and "test-server kernel log messages"
indicates that no packets were denied.

> I am kinda worried about this, because maybe my kernel is trying to tell
me
> one of the disks in my RAID 1 failed, and came back on line. If so, I
would
> like to know about this.

The only thing it's telling you is that drive ad6: came back online
(probably due to a soft error or timeout of some sort.)  This message should
also be found in /var/log/messages.

--
Matt Emmerton