Date:      Sun, 24 Apr 2011 13:50:34 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        Carl <k0802647@telus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: building a port with very long list of build options

On 04/24/2011 11:26 AM, Carl wrote:
> On 2011-04-22 4:13 AM, Manolis Kiagias wrote:

>>> Assuming you have already selected some options during make config, you
>>> could try adding your own to the file /var/db/ports/<portname>/options
>>
>> A probably more elegant way is to use the ports-mgmt/portconf port.
>> This allows per port settings to be applied, which are honored by make,
>> portupgrade and the other tools. Just install and use
>> /usr/local/etc/ports.conf to add your options:
>>
>>   Here is the sample supplied with the portconf:
>>
>> editors/openoffice.org-2: WITH_CCACHE|LOCALIZED_LANG=it
>> print/ghostscript-* print/lpr-wrapper: A4
>> sysutils/fusefs-kmod*: !KERNCONF | !NOPORTDOCS
>> www/firefox-i18n: WITHOUT_SWITCHER | FIREFOX_I18N=fr it
>> x11/fakeport: CONFIGURE_ARGS=--with-modules="aaa bbb ccc"
>
> ports-mgmt/portconf certainly does look to be a very appealing
> solution in general, but am I wrong in thinking that it provides me
> with no way to address my original problem? How do I use it when I've
> got an exceptionally long list of options for a particular port?

You list all the options on the relevant ports.conf line, separated by
'|' as shown in the example. I don't think there is any practical limit
to this though admittedly I've only used it for the occasional option.

> As for manually customizing /var/db/ports/<portname>/options, the port
> builds in question are done in a clean chroot using a batch process,
> so "make config" doesn't happen and /var/db/ports/<portname>/options
> never exists.
>
> Carl                                             / K0802647

You could create it manually from scratch and list all your options in
there.  It is just simpler if the file already exists and just needs
some more entries.