Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 2004 00:48:31 -0800
From:      "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
To:        thursday <thursday@sdf.lonestar.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: idiot 5.3 disk question

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 11:39:13PM +0000, thursday wrote:
> Greets,
>=20
> I haven't been following FreeBSD much at all lately, having gotten a Linx=
 admin job, so forgive me:
>=20
> I'm installing FreeBSD 5.3 on a new machine. I've added a second disk, an=
d 80Gig Maxtor IDE drive. I use sysinstall to partition it, and run disklab=
el/newfs, etc, mounting it as "/storage".=20
>=20
> In sysinstall, it shows the disk as being 78G - that's fine. 1024 !=3D 10=
00.=20
>=20
> However, when I run df -h it tells me the disk's capacity is 74G, there's=
 4.0K in use (it's empty), but only 68G is available. I'm just confused abo=
ut where the 12G went.=20

Well, commands like df and du can only estimate about how much disk
space there really is used.  du may say a file is only 10 bytes, but it
probably takes up at least 1k of space.  A 900 byte file probably also
takes up 1k so it's not a multiplier, but rounding.  My favorite way to
find out how much diskspace a drive has left is to do cat /dev/zero >
/path/to/test/partition/file, then do a ls -l on the file to see how
much space it takes up.  Only do this if filling up the partiton won't
interfere with anyone or any thing else.  You can also do a df -h once
full just for kicks.  Lastly, a non-root user can only fill a partition
to 95% by default so, unless you run it as root, u'll still have 5% free
space when done.

>=20
> Anyone have any helpful pointers to help me understand?=20
>=20
> Also, what's the ".snap/" directory for?=20
>=20
> Thanks so much!
rg"

--=20
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.
Bluescreen leads to downtime.
Downtime leads to suffering.
NT is the path to the darkside.
Powerful Unix is.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C
=20