Date:      Mon, 19 May 2003 14:14:54 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "Administrate" vs. "Administer"

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 09:52:08PM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:

> While technically this is correct, I think that "administering the spooler"
> reads better; any objections to my changing it?

I strongly prefer "administer," and generally eschew the gratuitous
longification of words.

(I'd always assumed that "administrate" was a neologism, but the OED lists
usages in this sense since 1639.  Still, it always sounds clumsy to me.)

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Science rules.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           *